The trend is BACK – it is one of the best kept secrets in the makeup industry – colored mascara welcome to 2021! We can’t say for sure how long it will stay around, but lately it is the hottest thing on Tik Tok and Instagram (places to be seen now).
Colored mascara isn’t new it has been around the makeup world before – but if you want to make your eyes pop or looking for a game changer in the eye makeup game then you are in the right place. In this post we discuss colored mascara benefits, which colors suit different eyes as well as tips on how to wear colored mascara.
Why use a Colored Mascara?
Colored mascara on either the top/ bottom lashes has the benefit of enhancing the whites of your eyes in such a way that they become incredibly ‘eye catching‘ almost like a ‘red carpet moment‘. The effect can be either subtle or bold but it has been kept secret until now, with the advent of masks, our eyes get more focus than anything else. Makeup has no rules. All you need to do is be yourself and colored mascara is having a moment so why not join in the fun? These mascaras create a fluttery or eye open effect making your eyes appear richer and brighter.
In one of my previous posts I wrote about how to apply False Lashes – these are also trending at the moment and the variety is huge. Used with contrasting eyeshadow, colored mascara has a big impact on the color of ones eyes, but when you use it on bare eyes the contrast is even more striking and the change in eye color is phenomenal.
The best colored mascara for your eye color
I have said many times that makeup has no rules and that it is all about expression, creativity and having fun. In saying all this – there are some tips and tricks when it comes to choosing colored mascara to enhance your eye color.
As a rule of thumb, cool tones like blue, green, or violet contrast with brown eyes for a natural brightening effect. They’ll bring out the depth of hazel in your eyes, and they can also make blue or green eyes appear deeper and/or vibrant.
If you’re keen to try a colored mascara that’s on the warmer side, shades like burgundy or plum will add depth to brown eyes, contrast with hazel eyes to make them change to green, and bring a subtle vibrancy to eyes that are green or blue.
Last but not least, lighter and brighter shades of mascara (pink, aquamarine, orange, etc.) all create spell-binding kinds of magic. They contrast with different eyes and skin tones in different ways, but ultimately, they still provide an unexpected pop of color for contrast.
At Glamore Cosmetics there are 3 shades of colored mascara: blue, dark purple and red/burgundy. They are cruelty free, vegan friendly and hypoallergenic. The formula is creamy and highly pigmented. It is also buildable which means you can use more than one coat to create a more dramatic effect.
Bonus Tips: How To Wear Colored Mascara
- Colored mascara can be thick and clumpy because you want to see it (on every lash literally) – unlike black mascara which you definitely don’t want to be clumpy
- Before applying mascara curl your lashes using a lash curler
- Apply one coat try and get every lash let it dry completely – then apply another one
- You can even use a lash comb (or a clean mascara wand) to separate the lashes and prevent over clumping
- When in doubt choose a blue mascara – don’t be scared – it will come off easily 🙂 plus it is suitable for all eye colors
- For a smokey eye choose burgundy mascara – it is sexy but subtle – also perfect with gold shimmer on the eye lid
- Use a white lash primer if you are struggling to get the colored mascara to show up on your curled lashes. Allow it to dry and then apply the mascara.
- Colored mascara looks great on minimalistic makeup looks – so neutral or no makeup makeup look with a pop of color on the lashes and a nude lipstick
- Another great tip is to use a matching eyeliner (for the winged liner or the waterline) to the color of the mascara (so blue mascara with a blue eyeliner) and then to create an entire monochromatic look the eyeshadow can also be blue!
Bare in mind that these mascaras are seasonal so we don’t actually know how long this trend will last. With everyone wearing a mask today colored mascara might be something to take advantage of. Its exciting and I like the fact that you can look red carpet ready with minimal makeup.
Let me know your thoughts on the colored mascara trend – is this something you would consider trying? As an added bonus Shannin put together this video on the different mascaras now I have decided that I need to use them all! She said that these mascaras are smudge proof and only come off when they are removed. You guys! Don’t miss out 🙂